A Speaker’s Bureau is a resource for meeting planners, conference organizers, event planners and others to secure a speaker for their event, conference, sales meeting, fundraiser, etc.
You will find sports stars and Olympic athletes, former government officials, book authors, celebrity chefs, actors, TV personalities, entertainers, journalists, entrepreneurs, corporate executives and many others.
The main benefit for a speaker is that you have an online resource to market yourself worldwide to those looking for your expertise and insight and you can earn some money.
A Speaker’s Bureau is right for you if:
- You already have experience speaking at events and have references and a speaker’s reel.
- You have some notoriety in your field.
- You have a great story to tell and an engaging personality.
- You want more speaking leads or don’t have time to look for your own leads.
- You have the funds to pay a commission or fee for a bureau to provide you with leads and/or assist you in securing speaking opportunities.
- You are want to start commanding a speaking fee.
What you need to get started:
- High-Resolution Color Photo
- Current Bio
- Speaking Topics and Outlines
- Testimonials from Previous Talks
- One-Sheet (One-page summary sheet)
- Recent Video of a Speech Given Before a Live Audience
- Press You Have Received
- Book(s) Published
- Media Articles
- Speaker’s Reel (video)
- Social Media Handle and/or Blog Links
- List of previous speaking events/clients
Fees and Compensation
Bureaus typically charge either a monthly or yearly fee and/or a commission on the number of bookings. Bureau fees can range from 5-20%.
Some burueas will just provide a portal for connecting with event organizers, others actually work to book you at events and arrange travel, etc.
Compensation is a speaking fee or honorarium and/or per diem and travel expenses.
Most speakers can expect to earn from $250-$3,000 (low end) $3,000-$7,000 (mid-range); $10,000 up high range. (Well-known speakers, celebrities, etc. easily garner $30,000 and up and former presidents can earn close to $1 million).
Popular Speaker’s Bureau
Here are some of the most popular Speaker’s Bureaus. (Note, I am not endorsing these).
AEI Speakers Bureau
American Program Bureau
International Speakers Bureau
National Speakers Bureau
Premier Speakers Bureau
Washington Speakers Bureau
This is a new service I am currently testing for my high-profile clients. It is free to load a profile, although you cannot access paid speaking opps, only free ones.
Hot tip: they also list Call for Speakers where you can review conferences who are looking for speakers (unpaid). However, if you upgrade your membership, you can access speaker calls that pay a fee.
Do you need help securing speaking opportunities (paid and nonpaid)?
Do you have a speaking topic that you want to expand to reach different audiences? Need a list of conferences looking for speakers? Feel free to contact me below to join my speaker’s bureau or to be listed on my agency page for top tier speakers.